Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How "Her Majesty" came to be!


Last week I posted “Her Majesty”.  This week I am posting some pictures showing how “Her Majesty” came to be.  



On my blank canvas I sketch out where I think everything will go...the body...the chair...I make sure the proportions look correct etc.  I am VERY excited about this stage of my painting.  It is like a newborn baby...there is so much hope and anticipation...I see such a great future for this piece. 



Then I block in all the colors.  Visually this gives me a sense of composition and further helps me ascertain that things are where I want them on the canvas.  This is like the toddler stage.  There is still a lot of hope...things are looking good...the piece is coming to life!  I am excited.



I begin with the details...this is the adolescence.. the awkward stage.  Things don’t always turn out the way I had planned.  I lost focus...got cocky...The piece gets off track and I get annoyed.  I see that even though things were in the right place to begin with...one arm is too long...the features in the face seem to have shifted down and I wonder how the paint could have shifted...It could not be ME!  It has to be the fault of the brush!  Yes, that is it...I will blame the brush.



Finally, I get the kinks worked out...the piece has reached its adulthood...everything is back where it belongs and it has grown into a fine young painting.  "Her Majesty" is cute again!   She has found a good home and will live happily ever after.
And now I begin another...

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I soooo get that! This is a hilarious brain journey, chronicling the life stages of a painting that I'm sure many of us relate to! And YES - it's the brush! I'm in the middle of a painting right now that's entering into the dementia phase I think. Damn brush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see your process! Love the color commentary below-I agree that Yes! It is the brush...I blame the brush- too funny! Her Majesty is just my favorite- love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting JOURNEY to those of us who have zero talent but much appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! She is definitely cute!! Love the demo you put together. And your commentary is right on! That adolescence is a difficult period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting your process. I really enjoyed seeing how you worked through this painting. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you shared. It really gives insight to see how someone else does it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting process -- thanks for sharing. You are right about the adolescence, the awkward stage! Lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I enjoyed following the process of the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to see your process, but I would MUCH prefer a live demo with both of us painting next to each other. Oh well, second best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Maria. You chose a difficult, foreshortened pose and pulled it off! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how I missed this. Fun to watch the progression. Remember those flip books that made things move? Gosh, I'm old!

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!