Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Women with a Parasol by Claude Monet - Copying at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC


This is where I am on my "Woman with a Parasol" by Claude Monet copy.  I worked on the grass quite a bit today and the sky...clouds specifically.  I am pleased with my progress and feel like I have learned so very much.  Monet's palette is becoming more comfortable and mixing the colors I need coming more easily.  The loose, seemingly random, brush strokes are still a challenge, but I am able to capture the feel of the piece if not match stroke for stroke.  All in all it is a wonderful experience. 


While painting I looked over and noticed this little "copyist".  What a doll.  I quickly pulled out my cell phone and asked the lady next to me...."may I take a picture of your daughter"? She was very happy and said I could!  After I snapped the shot she said "But that is not my daughter"...REALLY!!! So I asked the crowd who she belonged to and got permission to keep the photo.  Not to be outdone the first mom said..."here is my daughter and she is drawing too"...I gladly obliged by snapping some more photos.  


As I was painting, of course I get a lot of comments and thank heaven most of them are very complimentary.  One man looked at the original Monet and said "You missed a spot"...I am happy that I was quick enough to say "actually HE did...mine is correct"...hahaha.

The top comment of the day came when a young, around 12 year old,  girl told me she thought my version of the painting was better than the original.  I told her that was my favorite comment of the day.  



1 comment:

  1. How long do you stay at the gallery each time you go? You are making wonderful progress. I love that the kids are learning to paint in this way as well.

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!