Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Thinker - Strong Powerful Woman





The Thinker
24 x 30
Oil on Canvas

$3000.

Back in the day there was a TV show called "Dobie Gillis"  I used to love that show...it was about a young man, Dobie and his sidekick Maynard G. Crebs.  Maynard, or Bob Denver, went on to Gilligan's island fame...but I digress.  At the end of every show, Dobie would sit next to a statue that resembled "The Thinker" by Auguste Rodin.  The image of Dobie sitting next to the statue and wrapping up the theme of the show has stuck with me all these years.  Those fond memories led me to name this piece "The Thinker"  It is part of my "Strong and Powerful" women series.  



After I completed the piece I took a quick photo and brought it into an app on my iPhone call "Value Viewer".   The app has become invaluable to me as I sort my values.  When I brought "The Thinker" into Value Viewer I was very happy.  The lights and darks are exactly where I want them to be.  I love the lost edge on the left and the way the pearls lead the eye down and across the canvas.  




I usually work on two or three (sometimes more) works at a time.  This is the beginnings of one of my Military Life series pieces.  I love painting series of works and this particular one is near and dear to my heart.  As a the granddaughter of a Naval Officer, and Air Force Brat, Army Spouse and Air Force Mom I have a close connection to all service members.  My goal for this series is to depict my memories of military life...with the help of those currently serving.  I will elaborate more on this pictures when I post the final painting. 



 And Finally...this one just started...This one will be part of my "Strong Powerful Women" series.  As I scheduled this photo shoot it made me very aware of timing...If you miss the week you want to shoot a pregnant woman...the pregnancy may be over and an opportunity lost.  I had scheduled a shoot for this particular woman's last pregnancy...but waited too long!  Lesson learned!  I will also be elaborating on who this woman is when the painting is done.  

That is what is on my plate!  What is on yours?  Do you work on more than one piece at a time?  

1 comment:

  1. WOW! ! You have been busy. I love the strong powerful woman series and the red is a power color too! Wonderful work:)

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!