Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sherrie McGraw workshop portraits


This is the first painting I did at the Sherrie McGraw workshop.  The whole process was wonderful but very different.   When beginning these paintings, instead of defining features by drawing the head, eyes, nose, etc....I massed in the area that the figure occupies.  The idea is to identify the overall concept of the piece.  It is a very freeing way to establish features by capturing the light and shadows.  


I was able to get a little farther along with this figurative piece.  I realized the facial features more and worked on the folds in the fabric.  It was the second piece I worked on at the workshop and I was getting used to the procedure a bit more.  


Here area couple of action shots of Sherrie McGraw explaining the process to me.  It was fascinating...the workshop...meeting Sherrie McGraw and Jacqueline Kamin...and painting using their processes.  I am anxious to incorporate those processes into my work and anxious to see the result.  


Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! What a challenge and you definitely nailed it. Looks like you learned a different approach. It's going to see how you incorporate this into your style and work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY nice work, Maria. It looks like a wonderful workshop..and you're doing so well with live models...I have tried and butchered the painting..LOL

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!