Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Adjustment - Ballerina adjusting her straps


The Adjustment
16 x 20
Oil on Raymar Panel

$1200

One of the reasons I love to paint ballerinas so much is because of the freedom painting tutu gives me.  I begin by laying in darks and letting the skirt take shape.  Once the darks are all in I lay the medium colors in...adjusting as I go.  I never try to exactly mimic the tutu I am looking at...I take artistic license to let the paint flow and form the skirt.  Once I get a good shape I add some highlights to show off the shape of the skirt.  

In this particular painting the girl was not really playing with her straps.  When I started painting I thought it would tell a good story.  I imagine a little girl just getting her outfit on ready for her recital.  She nervously adjusts her straps while walking towards the stage.  I love that her tights were loose and baggy.  

It was just a fun piece to paint.  


1 comment:

  1. She is perfect Maria! Love her baggy tights too! Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!