Monday, January 5, 2015

The Old Violin - Maria Bennett Hock after William Harnett


The Old Violin painted by William Harnett in 1886.  This is my copy of "The Old Violin".  It was painted as a commission, Christmas present, for a client.  He remembers seeing a copy of this work in his home growing up and this reproduction brought back fond memories.  He requested it because he knows I am a copyist at the National Gallery of art. Unfortunately this particular painting is in a gallery that does not allow copyists...a small gallery.  I went to the National Gallery and took pictures and color notes... also used reference materials from the internet.  I also studied up on William Harnett and his nostalgic compositions.  It was a great experience and I am happy to say my client was pleased.  Great way to start the new year.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautifully painted! Your client is lucky. I'm trying to catch up with friends blogs after having a busy time the last few weeks. Facebook is so much in focus now...it's just a click of a button!

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!