Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Masked Ball at the Opera - National Gallery of Art Copyist Program



Masked Ball in progress
16 x 20
Oil on Panel

This is the latest progress on the Masked Ball piece at the National Gallery of Art.  It has been a couple of weeks since I last posted about it.  I just felt like I was working hard with not much progress to really show.  Today my goal was to finish the first layer of the faces and start on the balcony.  I was able to achieve that and am pleased with my progress.   The canvas is covered with paint and now I have to go back and put more paint on, detail, adjust and play.  It will be a fun next visit!  




My husband always comes to visit me at the gallery when I paint…he works two short block away so is easy for him to stop by and I love having the support.  Here is the obligatory action shot.  That is me using my new telescoping mahl stick.   He told me I put my easel in the wrong spot and he couldn't get a good picture.  Oh well…

The National Gallery had all their Holiday decorations up…it looks so festive!  AND It was very crowded!  Who'd a thought this would be a prime time to visit the gallery???  People are always very respectful and always very complimentary.    

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I can only guess that this is the most exciting part of the painting. When things are looking more like they are suppose to look … a brush stroke here and detail there. You make this so exciting for those of us who can't paint in such a fabulous place. Beautiful work Maria, thank you for continuing to share the journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a complicated piece, Maria!! You painted this beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a task. You are doing a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!