Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Karin Jurick Workshop - Hilton Head Island 2012

It has been one year since I started my blog!   How appropriate to review/recap my Karin Jurick experience 2012 since the catalyst for this blog was Karin Jurick's workshop at Hilton Head Island in 2011.  I was encouraged to start a blog and paint daily.  Both practices have served me well.  


Pretzel
8 x 8
Oil on Board

This is my favorite painting from the workshop.  I love the perspective and I love the copper/bronze skin tones...coupled with the body angles it was an interesting piece to paint.



Here is Karin giving one of her fabulous demo's.  If you haven't seen her in action you are truly missing a master at work.  She brings life to each stroke applied to the board.  For me, watching her paint was the highlight of each day.  Here is a small taste of her genius in a youtube video





Yes, we had fun...and though I hadn't ridden a bike in eons...you really DON'T forget!  




This is my rendition of Karin's photo.  It is also the same photo she used in her you tube video at the link above.  It was a great warm up and great to see everyone's different take on the same photo.  I am using one of Karin's table top easels made by Brett. 




Here is one of the infamous mug shots.  Karin gave each of us a 4 x 4 board and a picture of a mug and we painted.  It is a great exercise.  





Another day, another painting!  I caught this dynamic duo chatting it up on the beach.  I just couldn't resist that bright red jacket and adorable white dog constantly talking and looking inquisitive!






We all are rapt in the magic of Karin's masterful brush strokes.



The Morris Whiteside Gallery hosted a reception for our class honoring Karin's work that hangs in the gallery.  Chris Werst, Regula Scheifele, Karin Jurick, Lydia Jechorek and I sported colorful Pashmina's generously given to us by Chris.  Here we are in front of Karin's work.






Last but not least, we ate at fabulous restaurants on the island.  Robert Irvine's "Eat!" restaurant...the food was delicious.  

It was a wonderful week filled with art, laughter, support and more art.  I treasure the relationships that developed through this class.  

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Maria, and an appropriate way to round out the year of blogging. You have worked so hard and it has certainly paid off. Happy Birthday to your BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I got to see your wrap up post and major congrats!! So proud of you and the year you have had. You have grown as an artist and just soaring with confidence. Great job on finding your voice and sticking to it! Love the fellowship and fun...also the sweet pashmina's!! Paintings are amazing. Happy to know you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Maria! Your blog looks so very cool, you have worked hard. I love the paintings you do and you are so good at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Maria! Your post is wonderful and your blog looks very cool. You have worked hard...I love the paintings you do and you are so good with the figures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been watching for this post! What wonderful memories it brings back! And Maria your paintings look great - especially the one with the red jacketed person and dog - very nice contrasts and lighting! I'd like to see it in more detail. You all clearly had a wonderful time and I wish I had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been watching for this post! What wonderful memories it brings back! And Maria your paintings look great - especially the one with the red jacketed person and dog - very nice contrasts and lighting! I'd like to see it in more detail. You all clearly had a wonderful time and I wish I had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, it was so much fun to share a table with you for the week. I love your paintings, and the colors you used in the mug shot are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Call in sick, pack the car and let's do it all over again please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!!! I'm in!!! It was a fabulous week Karin...fabulous!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful post, wonderful progress (happy anniversary!), wonderful painting, wonderful pictures.
    We just had the most wonderful and amazing week - I'm all for 'Let's do it again'!

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!