Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Emma - Portait of a very special companion

Emma
8 x 10
Oil on Raymar Panel

Sold

This is my first of the 30 paintings in 30 days hosted by Leslie Saeta.  May I introduce Emma…a longtime companion who unfortunately is no longer with us.  Sometimes these paintings are difficult to do because I desperately want to capture the essence of the beloved pet…it is a huge responsibility that I take very seriously.  Since my goal is to paint family and friends…I knew Emma would fit into either category.  I am pleased to say that the painting was well received.  

As an aside I decided to show my sketches for this 30 day project…here is Emma's sketch.


As you can see I am not careful.  I am just trying to see where everything is in relation to where everything else is.  I am lining up the eye…nose and ear…It makes it so much easier to start painting.

So I am smiling as I prepare for my next painting!!!



13 comments:

  1. Great job Maria. Emma looks like such a nice dog. Thanks for sharing your sketch also. :-) Happy New Year Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Maria! So soft and sweet. Happy Painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully painted, Maria! Emma looks like such a sweet dog. I feel like I could reach out and pet him. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, nicely done Maria! <3 We just lost our Black Lab Kota - she was 16....they are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dog! This is exactly the reason I haven't tried animal portraits. Too much worry about capturing them just right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Maria,
    what a beautiful portrait of Emma! so sweet. It was nice hearing you on the AHA show… I got lots of great tips… thanks! Wishing you all the best for this year and the 30 in 30!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strong feeling and love shines through this portrait. Fine work, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the portrait of the yellow lab. I lost a yellow lab this past summer and it is such a sweet and loving tribute. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting. I can feel the love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's beautiful and beautifully captured. A nice memory for the family. Always love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely portrait Maria. Happy new year and best wishes for the 30 in 30 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pose and color on this gorgeous Emma!! I look forward to seeing this challenge!! (You can almost feel the softness in her fur!!)

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!