Monday, June 2, 2014

Child in a Straw Hat - National Gallery of Art - Copyist program


I am nearing the end of "Child in a Straw Hat" by Mary Cassatt...copying at the National Gallery of Art.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this piece and it is coming together quickly.  I chose it because I love the expression on the little girl's face.  It has been said that she was called away from her playmates to pose for this portrait and that caused the less than pleased expression on her face.  

As with my other copies my biggest challenge is mixing the colors to create the copy.  The colors in the original are so rich...it is such a good lesson for me.  Mix but not over mix...create soft strokes but boldly, and paint with thick globs of paint.  

Passers by are always very complimentary.  When I am feeling like I am lost someone will whisper "that is so good" as they walk by and I am encouraged to continue.  A young man of about 12 did ask me if I was trying to match the same colors as in the original.  I was struggling at the time and just looked at him and said "are you going to critique my work"?  He sheepishly said "no"...I did smile and wish him a good day.  He walked away smiling...I hope I didn't scare him.  Bruce says I scare people sometimes...It is hard for me to believe that is true ;)

3 comments:

  1. You are so so lucky to get to participate in such a prestigious program. What an honor...Each time you post I love reading who you are copying and why. I cannot imagine you scaring anyone...I think folks are just amazed at you:) As far as matching colors- I am learning so much about glazing and layering...that may be some of what is different these days? Just a thought. This is a favorite- you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Maria, you are soooo scary! Congrats on another beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you - you are one of the Brave Girls of the Painting Club! She's such a sweet subject and you DID a good job! :) No problem having the ABILITY to scare people. You use it wisely. I'd want you on my side, always.

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!