Wednesday, October 30, 2013

National Gallery of Art - Masked Ball at the Opera


Well, it looks like I have done precious little, but I worked for four hours today.  I had some struggles.  I initially sketched in the scene with a DARK watercolor pencil.  I usually just sketch in with my brush and a light neutral paint but really wanted to get the details so I decided to go with the pencil.  As I painted today the colors kept getting tainted by the watercolor pencil sketch and all my colors got muddy.  It was very frustrating.  I still have a long way to go, but will just be careful with my strokes to try not to mix with the pencil too much.  I didn't notice it last week because because I used dark colors all day long.  This week as I worked on the walls and light sconces it was quite a challenge.  Ah, well, I am here to learn!  


And here is the obligatory action shot…

The gallery was nice and quiet today.  I worked in peace most of the day.  One woman did ask if I wanted it to look like the original…huh????  Whadda ya think???  

6 comments:

  1. Maria, I love these peeks into your copyist program. The learning must be incredible, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly lucky to get to do what you do....Always inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big challenge you took on this time! I'm sure you will do a great job. I use Derwent oil pastel pencils. No bleeding through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I mentioned the book that I would like to publish? If not, I need to tell you about it. I think it is coming along nicely.

    Do you get to pick which painting you work on, or do they request certain ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this one looks like quite the challenge but you are handling it admirably. All the things one learns along the way makes us better artists. Thrilled to see you at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, you've been painting at the museum a number of times … does it get easier each time, I mean having the strangers around you commenting etc.

    This one is coming along nicely. I agree with Susan. It looks quite challenging and you are handling it admirably.

    I know after 5 hours you still were thinking about how to handle the next part etc. It is going to be beautiful I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!