Friday, June 28, 2013

Beatrice Townsend after John Singer Sargent at the National Gallery of Art



Beatrice Townsend
After John Singer Sargent
NFS

This is my progress so far on Beatrice Townsend by John Singer Sargent.  I am painting at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC participating in the Copyist program..  I am really have a great time.  My day began by re-assessing placement of the facial features, neck and the size of the puppy.  I figured out the dog's head was not bit enough so I made that bigger.  Adjusted the sash a bit and then tackled the facial features.  I knew the mouth was too high...but I remained in denial all day long...I kept thinking that it was OK.  Then just before quitting time I fixed it.  I knew I would never be happy with it...so down it went.  

I still have quite a bit to do...finishing.  The white collar needs detail and the necklace has to be repositioned a bit and some dimension added to it.  

No joke of the week this week.  Everyone was very quiet.  I don't know whether it was because I had to concentrate on features so much that I didn't interact or the heat got to everyone and they were just too hot and tired!  The highlight of the day was a little boy around seven or so who walked by...smiled...and gave me a thumbs up!  


Here I am diligently working away...you can see how empty the gallery was today!!!  So unusual!

2 comments:

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!