Monday, April 15, 2013

The Swinger

The Swinger
8 x 16
Oil on Raymar Panel

I love golf...the Masters Golf Tournament was last weekend and it is always a great competition.   My husband was stationed at Ft Gordon, Georgia in the 80's and we rented a small apartment near Augusta National where the Masters is played.  Back in the day there wasn't the security that we have now and wandering onto the golf course to watch was pretty easy.  So we jumped in and were able to see some of the pro's in action.

The source for this painting is a golf pro at a nearby course.  She was kind enough to let me follow her around and snap pictures relentlessly.  If any of you have ever been on a golf course you would know that the clicking of a camera shutter is NOT acceptable during a golfer's swing.  I learned that the hard way when watching Clint Eastwood play at the "Bing Crosby Pro Am" at Pebble Beach (also in the 80's).  I took a picture as he was putting...the camera went "CLICK' and then WHIRRRRRRRRR because I had a self winding camera...well...I almost got thrown off the course.  If I recall, I was still cute then and they let me stay.  Ah the joys of youth!  hahaha...

Well, I digress...Liz let me shadow her and take copious photos in all stages of swinging, putting, and setting up.  I love all the angles here...the arms and legs all doing unnatural things.  Always a challenge and something I love to figure out while I paint.

7 comments:

  1. haha! You are still cute I think!
    That masters tournament is so beautiful... I started painting some old golf photos I had too! I would love to be able to go and take photos there. I'm not much of a golfer though.

    Love this action shot! That was so great you had someone posing for you. I still trying to talk my husband into letting me shadow him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! You ARE still cute ..... and wiser!!

    Love your painting! More golf on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, NICE one, Maria - and timely! I think you're cute, too.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, Maria!!! I love this golf painting and hope to see more!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all. Cuter than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all. Nice painting, cute as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story Maria. Looks like you had fun following her around in order to get this painting from your photos. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!