Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ground Control to Major Sam


Ground Control to Major Sam
12 x 24
Oil on Raymar Panel

$1000.


A few months ago I was fortunate to be able to travel to Japan to visit a dear friend and fabulous artist Carrie Roets Waller.  Carrie was kind enough to show me and my traveling buddy, Debra Keirce who is also a fabulous artist, around Japan...finding the ins and outs...sales...sights...and navigating the public transportation system.  It was a wonderful trip.  As an added bonus we enjoyed the company of Carrie's most hospitable family.  While we were there her youngest son, Sam, got a costume in the mail.  I took a gazillion pictures of Japan so, of course, my camera was handy.  I asked Sam if he would pose for me and he stood proudly showing his new space suit.  Then he took off his helmet and held it under his arm and said that this is the way the astronauts do it.  Needless to say I was thrilled with my model and could not resist painting this piece.  The recent death of David Bowie reminded me of his song which, if course is the basis for the title. 




1 comment:

  1. That was the trip of a lifetime, and now that a little time has passed, I love that we are capturing the string of memories that we have of our time in Japan, in our art Maria! You with beautiful moments like this one, and me with my still life that tells stories only I understand. LOL! Great memory, great painting!

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!