I have been wanting to do an exercise using only black and white. I mixed 9 puddles of paints in progressively darker values. It was a challenge and I am not sure the puddles at the darker end of the spectrum are different enough in value...but I will work on that.
I then blocked in my features with a middle value. I used a photograph I had taken and printed in black and white. I also used a mirror and made sure the light from my window was the same as when I took the picture. I wanted to compare what I saw in the picture and in real life.
I refined features and darkened and lightened as I went. Working quickly as the light from the window would change soon.
This is my final. I blended the darks and lights. I am pleased with my first attempt at this. I will probably work on it some more. I am always tweaking my paintings to try to improve them. Sometimes it works...sometimes not....but it is always an interesting learning experience and very fun.