Sunday, June 17, 2012

Grande Pepere - A tribute to my father



Grande Pepere
30 x 40
Oil on Canvas
NFS


I have been working on this piece for a while now.  I find that sometimes if my subject is too close to me personally it takes me much longer to finally say it is finished.  I always think I can do better.  I had to let this go and move on.  It is a tribute to my father who is an amazing man.  He was in the Navy during World War 2, then joined Air Force and went to pilot training... flew B-52's and a plethora of other aircraft.  We traveled the world together.  He has always been and continues to be a wonderful, loving and totally supportive Dad.  


I recently wrote a tribute to my mom and told you how she hates to have her picture taken...conversely...my Dad loves the attention so getting him to sit for portrait was no problem.  Now if I could just get one of the two of them together...ah well...that will be my next project...stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderfully rendered and beautifully written. What a lucky dad to have you to paint this for him:) Know he loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful painting.
    I know what you mean about being to close to some subjects ... I wonder if when that happens to me if I shouldn't attempt to paint from a photo and paint it upside down?
    Happy Fathers Day to your father ... your tribute speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Maria. What a wonderful thing to do for your Dad.Love the painting and the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one tugs at the heartstrings, Maria... and I love the tribute you wrote! Yes, now for Mom AND Dad....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely painting and wonderful tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria this is so fabulous. You've captured so much emotion here. What a glowing tribute! :)

    P.S. I just saw the painting Karin did of you and it is FAB!!! You beautiful, talented lady you!

    ReplyDelete

Yayyy!!! Thanks for commenting!